International aged care: a quick guide

Aged care, as it is known in Australia, is usually called ‘long-term care’ or ‘social care’ in other countries. It is organised, funded and delivered in many different ways. Not all countries provide public support, and levels of social protection (public coverage of care costs) vary widely. There is also significant international variation in the terms used for different types of care, and these can even vary within the same country. This guide provides: English terms that may be used to describe aged care in other countries; a basic indication of funding arrangements, lead government agencies and primary legislation in selected countries, and links to further information. This guide focuses on formal, government-approved care for older people. It does not cover informal care (such as care provided by relatives) or retirement villages.
Resource Type: