Separate, self-contained dwellings may be rented from the Office of Housing and installed in the backyard of a friend or relative. This type of housing suits older people and their families who want to live in close proximity to each other. They are small but pleasant dwellings that have a lounge-room, kitchenette, bedroom and bathroom. A stove, heater and a hot water service are also provided. Walls and ceilings are fully insulated, and vinyl floors are fitted in the kitchen and bathroom areas with carpet in lounge and bedroom. Two bedroom units are also available for couples with demonstrated medical need.

The waiting time for Movable Units is approximately 3-6 months and all connections such as sewerage, electricity and gas are supplied at no charge by the Office of Housing.
The owner of the property must contribute to the application with things like a certificate of title and sewerage plan. When the Movable Unit is no longer required it is removed and either demolished or relocated to another home.

How do I apply?

Call us on 1300 765 178 for more information, call the Office of Housing directly on 1300 650 172, or apply to them directly online at

Cost Rent is 25% of your income
Eligibility -Be over 55 or have a disability
-Receiving an income from Centrelink
-Have under $31,520 in assets
Adaptability for changing physical needs/maintenance Units are adapted to suit your needs and modifications and maintenance are done by the Department of Housing
Location In the backyard of a friend or relative who you feel you can live closely to.
How long can you stay there? As long as you need it or until the home owner no-longer wants the unit in the backyard
Legal Coverage Tenants in Movable Units are not covered by the Residential Tenancies Act and do not have strong rights under Victorian law. For more information on laws that govern living in a Movable Unit contact Home at Last’s Retirement Housing Service on 1300 765 178.

Moveable Units suit older people who want to live close to family and/or friends, but also have their own independent accommodation.

Two designs available for Movable Units

6 * 6 metre movable unit floor plan.

8 * 5 metre movable unit floor plan.