Rooming Houses

There are over 1000 registered rooming houses in Victoria, many of which are in the inner urban areas of Melbourne.  
Residents generally have a single room and share facilities such as kitchen and bathroom. Well managed rooming houses may suit older people who like a semi-furnished home with little upkeep required.

Rooming houses range from well-run premises owned by not-for-profit organisations to dodgy rooms let by unscrupulous profit-mongers.

If you are interested in rooming house living then consider the following points:

  • Check whether the rent covers electricity, cleaning, maintenance and any additional service costs.
  • Ask about security of tenure. The government-funded rooms may have lifetime security of tenure whereas the private boarding houses have the same rules about notices to vacate as private rental.
  • Does it seem to be a safe environment?
  • Is it registered and does it seem well managed?

How do I apply?

Speak directly to the Rooming House provider or call Home at Last on 1300 765 178  for additional help. Home at Last can refer you to your local crisis housing service if you are currently homeless and they may be able to arrange rooming house accommodation for you.

Cost - Some rooming houses are managed by community-based organisations and rents are charged in the range of 25%-30% of income.
-Others are private business which charge the market rent.
Eligibility -As a private enterprise anyone can live in a rooming house.
-Community housing providers who run rooming houses will have their own eligibility criteria
Adaptability for changing physical needs/maintenance Rooming houses are not designed to meet the needs of older people and will vary in disability accessibility.
Location Across Victoria
How long can you stay there? Rooming houses are under the Residential Tenancies Act so you have a lease and can stay until the lease is over or until given a notice to vacate.
Legal Coverage Residential Tenancies (Rooming House Standards) Regulations 2012.