Aged Care Homelessness Action Plan
Background to the Homelessness Action Plan project
The Minister for Senior Australians and Aged Care, the Hon Ken Wyatt AM MP, has commissioned an action plan under the Aged Care Diversity Framework for older people experiencing, or at risk of homelessness (the Homelessness Action Plan). This is part of the work towards realising the Aged Care Diversity Framework’s vision that “All older people experience a high-quality aged care system that ensures equitable access and outcomes and embraces their diverse characteristics and life experiences”. The Diversity Sub-group of the Aged Care Sector Committee is responsible for development of the Homelessness Action Plan.
Housing for the Aged Action Group (HAAG) is working with a Reference Group and the Aged Care Sector Committee Diversity Sub-group to develop the Homelessness Action Plan.
The aged care Homeslessness Action Plan aims to improve aged care for people who have:
- Rented a home with no guarantee of staying in that home long term
- Renting a home that is too expensive, in poor condition or not suitable for ageing
- Lived with friends or family because no other options available or suitable
- Lived somewhere that was not safe and secure, for example due to threats and violence
- Lived in housing that is meant to be temporary, like a boarding house, shelter or hostel
- Lived in a house that was overcrowded and privacy an issue
- Lived in housing that was inadequate, like a caravan
- Not had a place to stay and slept in a car or on the streets
How we are developing the Homelessness Action Plan
HAAG is adopting a rigorous, transparent, fair and evidence-based approach to the development of the Homelessness Action Plan. Consultation with a wide range of stakeholders has occurred through a series of on-line surveys and individual telephone interviews. We are currently also travelling around Australia to visit services and talk to people.
In addition, you are welcome to contact the Homelessness Action Plan team at any time and share your experiences or ask about this project- see contact details below.
About the Reference Group
The members of the Reference Group were self-nominated at a Think Tank in August 2018 hosted by the Diversity Sub-group to commence the development of the Homelessness Action Plan and are:
- Dr Debbie Faulkner, University of Adelaide
- Jeff Fiedler, Action Plan Project Supervisor, Housing for the Aged Action Group and the Aged Care Sector Committee Diversity Sub-group
- Michael Fotheringham, Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute
- Digby Hughes, Homelessness Australia
- Bryan Lipmann, Wintringham and the Aged Care Sector Committee Diversity Sub-group
- Cherylee Treloar, Footprints
- Ms Mary Patetsos from the Federation of Ethnic Communities Council and the Aged Care Sector Committee Diversity Sub-group
The Reference Group's advice on the content of the Homelessness Action Plan will be considered by the Diversity Sub-group who are responsible for finalising the Action Plan and seeking endorsement from the full Aged Care Sector Committee.
If you have any questions about the Homelessness Action Plan, please contact the Project Manager Dr Sandra South on 0427 662 687 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.