Facts about Aged Care

Did you know….HAAG has volunteers who can help people to register for My Aged Care?

Registering for My Aged Care doesn’t mean you need assistance right now - you can register for My Aged Care before you need help. Then when the time comes that you do need support to live independently you can get services without having to go through the registration process.

If you would like a HAAG volunteer to help you to register for My Aged Care call 9654 7389 and ask for Rebecca or Gemma from the Aged Care Navigator Program.

Help in the home

These days, “aged care” usually means help in the home, and most people (77%) receive aged care in the place where they live.  There are two types of aged care you can receive in the home.  One is Commonwealth Home Support Packages, which supports the largest number of people in Australia, and Home Care Packages, which offer higher levels of care.  

You need to be registered on My Aged Care to receive this help in the home.

What sort of help can I receive?

Most people who access aged care use the lowest level of care called a Commonwealth Home Support Package (CHSP). This includes services such as

  • Help around the house (such as cleaning)
  • Transport
  • Meals
  • Personal care (for example, help with showering)
  • Home modifications (for example, ramps and rails)
  • Social support
  • Nursing and allied health
  • Planned respite care (having a break from caring or from home)

What sort of help you can receive depends on your aged care assessment.  An Aged Care Assessor talks to you about what you need, and together you decide what will help you to stay living independently.  This assessment takes place after you are registered on My Aged Care.
For a more detailed list of CHSP services see https://www.myagedcare.gov.au/help-at-home/commonwealth-home-support-programme

How much does it cost?

Fees for both the Commonwealth Home Support Program and Home Care Packages are fairly low if you have a low income. You can find out more at your assessment as cost will depend on your income and assets and who provides your care.

If you are struggling financially you can apply to have your fees waived. More information can be found here: https://www.myagedcare.gov.au/financial-hardship-assistance

You don’t need to do what you don’t want to do

Receiving aged care is your choice.  You can’t be forced into doing something you don’t want to do, like going into a nursing home – you have the right to decide where you live, and you have the right to make a decision with all the information available, without being coerced or persuaded.  If you have an issue with your aged care provider, or feel you are being pressured into something against your will, you can call Elder Rights Advocacy on 1800 700 600