The housing crisis is the worst in living memory. It is a humanitarian disaster. 750,000 people live in housing stress and are in desperate need of secure housing. What is on offer from federal and state governments is grossly inadequate and set to make the situation worse.
Public housing tenants, renters and community organisers are resisting public housing demolition plans and leading the campaign to defend and extend public housing, freeze rents and increase homeless service funding.
Strong negotiations over the federal government's Housing Australia Future Fund (HAFF) bill have delivered $2 billion for social homes. But more funding is needed. Funding for public housing, rather than ‘social’ or ‘community’ housing, which privatise public homes and land. For thirty years, massive amounts of public housing has been given away to social/community housing, and this must stop.
Hear from a panel of activist researchers, unionists and housing activists from all over the country discuss how to achieve housing justice.
1-2.45pm A panel of researchers and unionists:
- Zach Smith, Construction Forestry Mining Energy Union National Secretary
- Lilia Anderson, The Australia Institute
- Max Chandler Mather, Greens MP for Griffith, National Housing Spokesperson
- Paul McAleer, Maritime Union of Australia Sydney representative and Save Millers Point campaign
- Carolyn Ieena, Hands Off Glebe, 82 Wentworth Park Road (former) public housing tenant
- Karyn Brown, Waterloo public housing tenant and Action for Public Housing
- Ishbel Dunsmore, renter, Sydney University Student Representative Council, Education officer National Union Students Get a Room campaign.
- Fiona York, Housing for the Aged Action Group
3-4.30pm A discussion led by public housing tenants and housing activists from all over the country about the situation and solutions to the crisis.
Online and face-to-face venues across the country.
Organised by: Action for Public Housing (NSW), Save Barak Beacon (Victoria), Anti-Poverty Network South Australia (SA), Combined Retired Union Members Association (CRUMA NSW) South East Queensland Union of Renters, Sydney University Student Representative Council, Anti-Poverty Centre, National Union Students Get a Room, Maritime Union Australia Sydney, Greens NSW, Socialist Alliance, Tenants Union of NSW, Save Public Housing Collective (Vic), Community Union Defence League, Communist Party Australia
Contact 0403 517 266