The role of the Chairperson is to provide the principle leadership and responsibility for HAAG and the Committee of Management.
The Chairperson should:
- Have the time to commit to the role
- be well informed of all organisation activities and able to provide oversight
- be a person who can develop good relationships internally and externally
- be forward thinking and committed to meeting the overall goals of the organisation
- have a good working knowledge of the Committee Constitution, rules and duties of office bearers
- be able to work collaboratively with other Committee Members
- be a good listener and attuned to the interests of members and other interest groups
- be a good role model and a positive image for the organisation in representing the Committee in other forums
- be a competent public speaker
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Chair Committee meetings ensuring that they are run efficiently and effectively
- Act as a signatory for the organisation in all legal purposes and financial purposes
- Regularly focus the Committee’s attention on matters of governance that relate to its own structure, role and relationship to any employees, volunteers and stakeholders.
- Periodically consult with Committee members on their role, to see how they are going and help them to optimize their contribution
- Work with the Committee to ensure:
- The necessary skills are represented on the Committee and that a succession plan is in place to help find new Committee members when required
- Goals and relevant strategic and business plans are developed in order to achieve the goals of the organisation
- Work with co-managers to manage any paid employees of the Housing for the Aged Action Group including recruitment, retention, salary and performance reviews, etc.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the organisation when required